Sunday, May 11, 2014

Things I've Sewn Lately: Chambray Chardon

Since it's Mother's Day, I thought my favorite girl should join me in posting about my new favorite skirt! Porter is really bad at staying still for pictures, so he hung out in the backyard while we took these. 


This is the Deer and Doe Chardon skirt. I made the view with the belt loops, but there's also a really cute version with a bow at the back and a contrast band around the bottom. I hope to make one sometime soon!


I ordered several Deer and Doe patterns recently and this is the first I've made up. I must say, it was lovely to work with. The English instructions were very clear and the pattern is printed on nice heavy paper.


This skirt has several interesting features. It doesn't have a waistband, just a facing at the top that folds under, which made me a little hesitant about how it would look.

It also uses bias tape to hem the skirt, which I hadn't done before.


Instead of purchasing bias tape, though, I just made some with my electric bias tape maker and some white quilting cotton. I bought the Simplicity bias tape maker recently from Amazon when I was making yards and yards of bunting for the wedding. It is much cheaper to make bias tape than to buy it when you need 50 yards of it!


The pleats in the skirt are fairly simple to make and they're topstitched so they stay put even after washing. This skirt needs ironing because it's chambray, but the pleats, at least, stay pleated nicely, which I was very pleased with.


Lyra likes them, too.


The fabric I used is a lovely medium-weight chambray I bought on our most recent trip to Seattle at Drygoods Design.

I am obsessed with chambray recently. It's so lovely to sew with and so nice to wear. It does tend to wrinkle, but I love it anyway.


Here I'm wearing the skirt with a white Sewaholic Renfrew shirt I made recently to go with my summer skirts. I left off the bottom band off so it wouldn't be bumpy under skirts.

Although, now the new Nettie bodysuit pattern is out, that's definitely going to be my next top to make to go with summer skirts. I've never had a bodysuit before, but I can't wait to try one!


Have you tried any of the Deer and Doe patterns yet? I hope to make the Belladone next!

No comments:

Post a Comment