Sunday, June 22, 2014

Things I've Sewn Lately: New Look 6723 in Liberty Nancy Ann

Lately I haven't felt like sewing anything but cute summer sundresses.

And since they're one of my favorite things to wear, why question a good thing, amirite? 


I started this dress with the intention of wearing it to our wedding rehearsal, but I just couldn't get it finished in the weeks leading up to the wedding. And after the wedding, it took me a little while to want to finish it. I am normally a complete-project sewer. I start one project and finish it before I'll move on to the next.

But then, about a week after the wedding, I finally got my sewjo back, finished this up, and all was right with the world.


This is New Look 6723 in Liberty Nancy Ann. My parents gave me a Purl Soho gift card for Christmas so that I could pick out some Liberty fabric; this was one of my favorites.

The dress is lined in nude cotton batiste I got from G Street with a coupon.


I chose New Look 6723 because it was a basic dress block with princess seams and a gathered skirt. New Look patterns tend to fit me a little better than most Big Four patterns and they're cheap, even when patterns aren't on sale. The pattern comes with this boat neck option as well as a notched neck option with a sort of sweetheart look and a couple of sleeve options. 

The pattern came together quite easily with my usual modification of cutting an 8 at the bust and grading out to a 10 at the waist.

Really, the only thing this dress is missing is POCKETS. Wish I'd added some.


Since the print is mostly white and busy, I just serged the hem and then did a tiny quarter-inch-fold machine-sewn hem. I didn't even bother to hem the lining. I just left the edge serged and called it a day. Really, I don't see a reason to hem lining if you're finishing with a serger. No one will see it (unless you're showing your dress lining to the world on your blog) and it just adds bulk.


The invisible zipper, I am realizing now that I'm looking at these photos, is not super invisible. What a bummer! I purchased a new sewing machine (more later this week!) and it does fantastic zippers, so I may resew this one at some point to make it a little more invisible.

In fact, we took these pictures walking along the waterfront in Alexandria after we went to the Pfaff dealer for the first time (I visited a few dealers before deciding on a brand and a machine.)


Currently, I'm trying to bang out a few work staples for my new job before I go back to sundresses, but I definitely sneaked another one in this week. Woops!

I've also been furiously knitting away at Andi Satterlund's Myrna sweater. I started a couple weeks late because of the wedding, but I'm trying to catch up to the Outfit-Along! Cross your fingers I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment