Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring Is Here -- Along With Lots To Do!

If it's been awhile since my last post, it's because I've been a busy little bee around the house! Over the winter, we managed to obtain a ton of free lumber. I saw an ad for free lumber on Craigslist and drove out to  the boonies to borrow Greg's parents' truck and, when he got home from work, we went off to pick it up. Turns out there was a lot of good stuff... 4x4s, 2x6s and miscellaneous other stuff. 


I'd like to state here and now that my experience of driving that truck, which is on the old side and, of course, stick shift, through rush hour in the D.C. suburbs was not my finest moment. 

But I did it and it was so worth it.


Some of that stuff was 14 feet long! I think the people who gave it away were house-flippers. So while I worked one Saturday, Greg set to working. 



With spring here, it was time to create some more garden boxes. I already have a 6x12 one out back. These two are out front and they contain root vegetables (beets, carrots and potatoes -- on the left) and strawberries (on the right). 


And then, of course, Greg built me this monstrosity for tomatoes in the side yard. It's 7x14.



Let us not forget that I'm growing squash around the tree out front. It's a lot of garden space to fill, ya'll. 

So with that in mind, I started some seedlings. (And I direct-planted some other things.)


 Yes. Get excited for lots of canning this summer.


We're growing (or experimenting with):
Several types of tomatoes
Several types of sweet peppers
Several types of cucumbers
Peas
Strawberries
Lettuce
Kale
Scallions
Red onions
Carrots
Beets
Potatoes
Broccoli
Basil
Spaghetti Squash
Butternut Squash
Brussels Sprouts
... and probably several other things I've forgotten about. And one of my coworkers promised me an acorn squash seedling.

I may need my head examined come fall... 

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your tomato-tending monstrosity. My terrace tomatoes have to live with stakes and velcro ties.

    I do hope you give us a harvest follow-up post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still impressed by my tomato-tending monstrosity myself! I'll have lots of stakes, ties and tomato cages, too. Pain, aren't they? But so so worth it.

      I am quite sure there'll be lots of follow-ups throughout the summer. The seedlings already are more than twice as large as they were in those photos! They grow up so fast...

      Delete