Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ringing in the New Year

The second the ball dropped in Times Square, marking the beginning of 2011, he kissed me for the first time.

Now, two years later, we live together.

Crazy how those things work, right?

So many wonderful things have happened since then. That year I made one resolution: to carry cash. (I've renewed that particular resolution every year since then with mixed success.)

I never made resolutions until 2011. I never wanted to be the type of person who resolves every Jan. 1 to "get fit" or "find love." Mainly because I know I'm not the type of person to follow that sort of resolution. (Many kudos to those of you who manage it!)

I try to keep my resolutions to things that I want to be mindful of in the new year. And frequently they're things I've started doing before the new year. But writing my resolutions on paper helps me to remember them. I've always kept a journal -- a book of lists and appointments and recipes and calorie counts.

This year, I'm ordering a new book (I've only got two pages left in my old one!) and I'll copy this list onto the first page.

For 2013, I am hoping to follow these goals and be mindful of my desire to achieve them:

  • Work: Use all of my vacation and better track my comp time. 
  • Fitness: Run once a week and do yoga twice a week.
  • Health: Drink more water, visit the dermatologist, wear glasses more frequently.
  • As always: CARRY CASH. 
I'm sure I'll have varying success with these. For instance, I tend to get stuck in fitness ruts. Lately, I've been going to yoga  all the time and somehow, now that it's cold out, I've conveniently forgotten about running. Oops! So I want to attempt to give myself a goal of running once a week. I can do that, right? 

Mostly, I just want to make a good effort at all of these. But I won't hate myself -- or give up completely -- if I mess up a few times. 

So here's to a successful 2013 -- I hope it's wonderful for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment